Electric Vehicle market is growing rapidly in the country due to its Eco-friendly nature and Cost-effective features. Many state governments already announced EV policies and schemes. Let’s have a look at the Electric Vehicle Market Condition Report of Kerala.
Kerala is said to be the most literate State in India. The government is taking many initiatives to promote e-mobility in India.
This article helps EV manufacturers, Entrepreneurs, Dealers, and researchers to know about the electric vehicle market condition in Kerala.
Electric Vehicle Market Condition Report of Kerala
Electric Vehicles market is developing in India rapidly but to know the exact EV market some factors need to be included such as Government support, Policies, awareness, achievements, dealers, and sales report.
Kerala EV Policy
EV Population Targets
- 2022: 1 million EV’s on the road
- 2020: Pilot Fleet of 200,000 two-wheelers, 50,000 three wheelers, 1000 goods carriers, 3000 buses, and 100 ferry boats.
Key Policy Drivers
- Promoting shared mobility and clean transportation balancing of the peak and off-peak power demand for the electric utility (KSEBL),
- Operational efficiency and savings for the transport utility (KSRTC), pollution reduction from fossil fuels
- The strategic intent to boost hardware and software manufacturers in the State.
- Managing the electricity grid
- Upgrading the bus transport fleets
- Industrial growth
- Transition safety
The electric vehicles having battery packs of below 120V is considered as the light EV includes the two-wheelers, three-wheelers, and some car models also.
- e-scooters-50KM range battery that can be charged at home.
- e-scooters with two swappable batteries like example Gogoro etc.
- e-bikes to leverage the tourism potential of the state in the coastal and hilly destinations.
The auto-rickshaws in the State is priced Rs.1.40 to 1.70 Lakhs with the range of Rs.1.30 to 1.40 per KM. For converting these to e-autos can be made revenue neutral.
It will be necessary to provide incentives, concessions in road tax, toll fee, parking fee, etc.
Policy decision must be taken to give new/renewed permit only for e-autos
Scheme would be devised to procure 15,000 + 25,000 + 50,000 e- autos year-wise from 2019 onwards,
Built-in batteries could be charged at home overnight and could run for about 80 – 100 KM distance daily,
Heavy Electric Vehicles/ Electric Buses
Electric Vehicles with a battery pack of more than 500 Volts is considered as Heavy EV.
EV Charging Infrastructure
Fast Charging and swapping stations will be established in all cities.
KSEB will setup battery charging stations
The policy aims at improving affordability and acceptance leading to the adoption of electric vehicles through the following strategic initiatives
- Addressing the viability gap for buses and Government fleet (if any)
- Creating an adequate charging infrastructure that is interoperable with several models of EVs,
- Promotion of local manufacturing,
- Awareness creation and promotion of shared mobility
- Human capacity building and re-skilling
- Addressing the Viability Gap
- Creating adequate charging infrastructure- interoperable
- Manufacturing in the State
Pilot Projects and Promotion
- Creation of E Mobility Zones (pilot regions)
- Support schemes for early adoption
- Human Capacity Building
- Centre of Excellence for Electric and Autonomous Vehicles
- Curriculum updates for EVs and AVs
- Skilling Programs for EV & AV industry
- Connected and Autonomous vehicle testing corridor
Electric Vehicle Market Condition Report of Kerala
Kerala Government Support For Adoption Of EVs
- Kerala government targets 10 million EVs on the Roads.
- The private EVs will get 25% of tax repayment for 5 years while e-rickshaws for 50%.
- Only new electric autos will be permitted.
- The launch of Electric Buses
- Kerala Automobiles has also started manufacturing the experimental autos.
- The state will work with the Swiss company to manufacture electric buses as a joint venture.
- New permits for three-wheelers will be given only to EVs at least in the three main cities,
- Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, and Kozhikode.
- The KSRTC of Kerala plans to produce 150 electric buses. These buses will cover cities in Telangana and Banglore.
- Kerala joined in electric vehicles journey with the initiation of Allianz technology India.
Electric Vehicle Awareness Programmes in Kerala
Electric Vehicle Conference By Engineering College In Kerala on “Innovation in Electric Vehicle Technologies,” to explore the opportunities and development in Electric Vehicle (EV) technology.
The conference invited talks, tutorial sessions, contributory papers relating to the research and development work and a technical exhibition.
The Story of India’s First Electric Car started from here.
Electric Vehicle Dealers in Kerala
There are almost 20+ electric vehicle dealers in India, as India leads in two-wheelers and three-wheelers market many dealers are two and three-wheelers. Some of the EV dealers are Romai electric scooters, SEV motors Pvt Ltd, JHL trading, Thrissur electric scooter, Mahindra Auto, Ampere electric, etc.
Let us now look into some statics of Electric Vehicle Market Condition.
Electric Vehicle Market Condition Of Kerala As Of 30th March,
|null||Three Wheelers (Category L5 slow speed as per CMVR)||20|
|2 Wheelers||Two Wheelers (Category L1 & L2 as per Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR))||431|
|2 Wheelers||Two Wheelers (Category L2 (CMVR))||231|
|2 Wheelers||Two Wheelers (Max power not exceeding 250 Watts)||4961|
|4 Wheelers||Passenger Cars (Category M1 as per CMVR)||5737|
|Buses||LCVs (Category N1 as per CMVR)||1|
According to FAME INDIA reports as of 30th March 2019,
- Three Wheelers (Category L5 slow speed as per CMVR)-20
- Two Wheelers (Category L1 & L2 as per Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR))-431
- Two Wheelers (Category L2 (CMVR))-231
- Two Wheelers (Max power not exceeding 250 Watts)-4961
- Passenger Cars (Category M1 as per CMVR)-5737
- Buses-LCVs (Category N1 as per CMVR)-1
- Total number of electric vehicles in the state- 11381
For any promotions and advertisements on electricvehicles.in, please send an email to email@example.com