After my online research about the type of Motors used in different EVs, I found some conclusions and here it is about the Types of Motors used in EVs and why BLDC Motors are widely used – Chinmaya Pradhan, Guest Author.
There are many but mainly five different types of electric motors which are being used in current and upcoming EVs: BLDC Motors.
Different Types Of Electric Motors
- Brushless DC Motor(BLDCM),
- Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor(PMSM),
- AC Induction Motor(ACIM),
- Interior Permanent Magnet Motor(IPMM),
- Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor(PMSRM).
1. BLDC Motors (BLDCM)
Brushless DC Motor(BLDCM) are being used in most of the lightweight 2 Wheeler & 3 Wheeler EVs like Electric Scooters and Electric Motorcycles.
For example in Electric Scooters:
- Ather Energy Scooters,
- Upcoming TVS Creon,
- 22Motors, Hero Electric,
- Niu Electric Scooters,
- Yamaha EC-03, etc.
For example in Electric Motorcycles:
- Tork Motors,
- eMotion Motors,
- Menza Motors,
- Chinese Evoke Motorcycles etc.
And in all e-Rickshaws & eAuto Rickshaws.
Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor(PMSM) are also being used by many EV Manufacturers for their High-Performance Electric Motorcycle, Electric Cars, Electric Buses.
For example in Electric Motorcycle:
- Energica Motors,
- Brammo Empulse R
For example in Electric Cars:
- Chevy Bolt EV,
- Nissan Leaf EV,
- Upcoming Hypercar Pininfarina Battista 0-100kmph in <2Sec
For example in Electric Buses
- TATA Ultra Urban 6/9 & 6/12
3. IPM Motors(IPMM)
Interior Permanent Magnet Motor (IPMM) are also being used by some 2 Wheeler EV Manufacturer for their High-Performance Electric Motorcycle.
- Zero Motorcycles(Model S/SR, DS/DSR, FX, FXS, ‘SR/F’),
- Lightning Motorcycles(Model LS-218).
4. ACI Motors(ACIM)
AC Induction Motor(ACIM) is also being used by some EV Manufacturers in 2 Wheeler and 4 Wheeler.
For example in 2 Wheeler:
- Emflux Motors-Emflux One,
For example in 4 Wheeler:
- Tesla Roadster 2008,
- Tesla Model S,
- Tesla Model X,
- Mahindra e-Verito,
- Mahindra e2o,
- Mahindra e-Supro,
- TATA Tigor,
- TATA Tiago.
Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor(PMSRM) is used in Tesla Model 3.
Why BLDC Motors is mostly used in EVs.
1. In comparison to ACIMs, BLDCMs are expensive to manufacture but are very efficient (85-90%), lighter in weight, compact in size & Simpler to control the speed and reverse function than the ACIMs.
2. For China, it has become easy to produce BLDCMs in huge numbers. Currently, China is producing Low, Medium and High Powered BLDC Motors for EVs in huge numbers and supplying all over the world.
3. Motors like PMSMs and IPMMs are much better(in efficiency with no torque ripple & less noise) than BLDC but they are more expensive to manufacture. So due to more availability and good performance BLDC Motors are being used in almost every light vehicles.
Cost of BLDC Motors in India
Generally, most of the BLDC Motors are imported from China. As per my experience from my extensive research on the cost of BLDC Motors(with different power rating), the cost of 900w BLDC starts from Rs.2200 and for 1kW starts from Rs.2400. And for 1.5kW, 2.5kW, 3kW, 4kW and so on, I do not have the exact rates because from every seller it’s a different rate.
Currently, the cost of BLDC Motors and its Controllers are high in our country because most are imported from China. China is producing most of the BLDC Motors of different power rating in large quantities. So the cost is not so expensive inside the Chinese market for Chinese people.
Sites to buy BLDC Motors
1. www.goldenmotor.com. Golden Motor manufactures one of the BEST BLDC mid drive Motors in China and supplies internationally. You must go for this if you want high-quality Motors.
2. www.qs-motor.com, www.cnqsmotor.com, www.qsmotor.com. QS Motors Manufactures is one of the best Hub Motors in China and supplies internationally.
3. made-in-china.com/, www.alibaba.com. Here in these two sites, you’ll find many Chinese manufacturers who manufacture and supply BLDC Motor in high quantity. If you want to import, then these are the sites.
There are various other Chinese sites which can be found by just google search.
India: www.indiamart.com. You’ll get many Indian sellers here and can get the price details.
Alternative to BLDC Motor
AC Induction Motor(ACIM), Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor(PMSM), Interior Permanent Magnet Motor(IPMM), these three are the alternatives to BLDC Motor.
Many EV Manufacturers are using PMSM & IPM Motors, but they are not widely available for individual customers to use as conversion kits or for other purposes but BLDC Motors are widely available for conversion of the existing ICE Vehicles into Electric.
AC Induction Motors are also available in the Chinese sites for Conversion of your existing ICEV. Some sellers in India may be importing the ACIM for Conversion Kits, but we don’t see the demand for ACI Motors due to the benefits of BLDC Motors over ACI Motors.
So due to the above reasons we see BLDC Motor as the quick choice for people demanding EV Kits for their conversion projects and for other commercial purposes.
For any promotions and advertisements on electricvehicles.in, please send an email to email@example.com