Nikola Corp. to unveil a new prototype battery which has four times the energy density of lithium-ion batteries and will cost 50% less. This battery technology will help to increase the range of current electric vehicle passenger cars from 300 miles up to 600 miles.
Nikola to unveil new prototype battery
Phoenix-based hydrogen-fuel truck maker Nikola Corp. plans to present the new battery to the public at Nikola World 2020 technology summit in Phoenix in September 2020.
This month, Nikola will acquire a world-class battery engineering team to help in bringing the new battery to pre-production. Nikola has not yet released any specifications of the new battery.
But Nikola claims that
- With the new breakthrough battery, a fully loaded electric truck can drive 800 miles between charges.
- The new prototype battery would weigh 40% less than conventional lithium-ion cells.
- When compared to lithium-ion batteries, these batteries have four times the energy density and the material cost per kilowatt would be 50% less.
- The Nikola’s battery will use smaller amounts of toxic elements, such as cobalt and nickel, than lithium-ion batteries.
- With the new battery, Nikola’s hydrogen-electric fuel cell trucks could run more than 1,000 miles between stops.
- The breakthrough battery technology will help to increase the range of current electric vehicle passenger cars from 300 miles up to 600 miles with little increase in battery size and weight. The technology is also designed in such a way that we can operate this battery even in existing vehicle conditions.
Nikola Corp. is a private firm that designs and manufactures hydrogen-electric vehicles, electric vehicle drivetrains, vehicle components, energy storage systems, and hydrogen stations. The company was founded in 2014 in Salt Lake City.
For any promotions and advertisements on electricvehicles.in, please send an email to [email protected]